Niš cuisine represent an unusual combination of Serbian traditional dishes and numerous influences primarily from the East:
- Burek is one of the most recognizable “eastern specialty”, which took on in this area.The history says that the first round burek in Nis was made by a Constantinople baker MehmedOglu in 1498. Today, burek is recommended by many people from Niš, not only as a tasteful breakfast, but as a medicine against a long night out in a tavern.
- Rakija(fruit brandy): quince, plum, apple, apricot.
- Cold starters: ’’Urnebes’’ salad, “moravska” salad , peppers in heavy cream, pihtije (aspic).
- Warm starters: belmuz (corn flour and cheese), proja (corn bread), cheese pie with homemade crusts, calf’s head stew.
- Grill specialities: cevapcici (similar to kebab), pljeskavica (burger), smoked pork, stuffed pork, chicken kebab in a bacon wrap, liver in the crust, ,ribs in cream.
- Dishes in clay pots: beans with ribs, stuffed peppers and vineyard leafs rolls.
- Dessert: orasnice (with wallnuts), baklava,tulumba (pastry in sweet syrup),’’adžijinmezetluk’’(ice cream with nuts and dry fruit).